Friday, April 15, 2011

Buttermilk Pretzels


Husband [Entering kitchen after work]: What is that? Poop? You made poop?

Wife: Yes, I always thought the world needed more poop. Plus, we'll be rich! I can make up a batch of this stuff every day and sell it as compost.

Well, I wasn't that witty when the original conversation happened, but my husband did call my homemade pretzels poop. Then, he ate them.

I needed a snack/dessert for a friend that can't have cane sugar or yeast. I found these awesome pretzels that fit the bill on allrecipes.com. Here's a recap of how to make them.

Buttermilk Pretzels
(yields around 12 pretzels)
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Fill a large pot with water and add 1/3 c. baking soda. Heat until boiling.
2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together:
1 1/2 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
Add in:
1 c. buttermilk (or 1 c. milk with 1 tsp. vinegar)
1/4 c. honey
Mix with a spoon and then turn out the dough onto a floured surface. Knead with your hands until combined well. Divide into 12 pieces and shape into pretzels (if you can).
3. Drop each pretzel into the boiling baking soda water for a minute. Remove with tongs and put on an ungreased baking sheet. Add toppings, if desired. (Ideas: kosher salt, cinnamon sugar, onion flakes, cheese, cheese, cheese.)
4. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until golden brown.

If you have a hard time making the pretzel shape, make letters!
P.S. They taste really yummy. Not at all like, well, you know...

5 comments:

  1. I love pretzels!

    Thanks for the tip about blissfully domestic! I did apply, who knows what will happen since I have no schooling beyond a 2 year degree. But I really appreciate the heads up! Thanks for thinking of me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL for husbands and their smarty cooking remarks. :-P Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! Just visiting from UBP. Have a blessed Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. *giggle* that's funny....at least he ate them :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have to say the first picture didn't look all that appetizing. Glad they turned out good though.

    ReplyDelete